The Vital Few/AODP recognises the importance of your privacy, and that you have a right to control how your personal information is collected and used. We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. Unless you consent to us doing otherwise, The Vital Few/AODP will only collect and use your personal information as set out below.
Collection of information from you
The Vital Few/AODP collects personal information from users of The Vital Few Website, members of superannuation and pension funds, members and representatives of asset owner organisations, stakeholders and strategic partners and other individuals. We collect this information when it is necessary for business purposes and the initiatives pursued by The Vital Few/AODP.
The Vital Few/AODP may collect personal information about you, including but not limited to, for example, your contact details such as name, email address, phone number, address and your job position, superannuation or pension fund membership details including membership numbers and investment options, and your approximate age.
In particular, The Vital Few/AODP may collect personal information:
- when you use The Vital Few Website, in which case our system may automatically collect information relating to your visit to that website, such as your IP address;
- when you fill in or complete letters/emails to asset owners, surveys, questionnaires or contact forms (whether offline or online);
- when you upload or input information to The Vital Few Website;
- about how you use The Vital Few Website;
- when you seek to support The Vital Few (eg. through donations or partnerships);
- when you obtain certain data from The Vital Few;
- when you wish (and are authorised) to use The Vital Few award logo; and/or
- during face-to-face meetings and seminars, email correspondence or telephone conversations.
If you do not provide The Vital Few/AODP with all requested personal information, you may not be able to take full advantage of The Vital Few’s services or resources (including the provision of information and other services made available by way of The Vital Few Website), to upload or input information to The Vital Few Website, to obtain data from The Vital Few Website, to use The Vital Few award logo or to participate in The Vital Few’s initiatives.
Using your personal information
Our purposes in collecting information about you include to:
- provide you with access to our services and resources;
- invite you to participate in our initiatives, including sending letters/emails to asset owners, including superannuation and pension funds, or other activities;
- compile, manage and analyse questionnaires and surveys completed by you;
- compile, manage and analyse letters/emails to asset owners, including superannuation and pension funds, completed by members, and letters/emails in response from asset owners, together with all other correspondence relevant to the original letter/email request sent via The Vital Few Website to the asset owner;
- produce and manage databases relating to The Vital Few (which may contain information regarding members’ contact and fund details and approximate age, asset owners' responses to letters/emails sent by members, asset owners’ climate change profiles and rankings, climate risk disclosure, climate change and sustainability practices, policies and strategies);
- respond to queries or requests for information that you may direct to us;
- administer and maintain The Vital Few Website;
- develop partnerships, provide sponsorship opportunities and packages and/or facilitate donations; and
- improve our services and resources.
Using your personal information for marketing
We may use personal information you have provided to us, including your email address, to provide you with information or invitations in relation to The Vital Few, developments in relation to climate change and/or The Vital Few initiatives or activities and/or other information which you may be interested in or which we consider may be relevant to you or your organisation, in accordance with any relevant consents you have provided.
If at any time you do not wish to receive such information from us, you may ask us to remove your name from our list by emailing us at email@example.com. Alternatively, if we send you such information by email, you can use the unsubscribe function in the email to inform us that you do not wish to receive such information from us by email. In either case, please allow five (5) business days for your request to be processed.
Disclosing your personal information
In order to deliver services and provide access to resources to you (including via The Vital Few Website) and improve those services and access, we may sometimes disclose your personal information to third parties such as affiliates, partners, service providers, independent contractors, consultants, off-site security storage providers, website hosts, mail-houses, electronic database managers and event managers.
We may disclose personal information where:
- the use or disclosure is required or permitted by law;
- we believe it necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of another person or The Vital Few; or
- the assets and operations of The Vital Few’s business are transferred to a third party.
The Vital Few will not otherwise use or disclose any personal information about you without your consent.
We may also share and disclose non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information for the purposes of research, promotional activities and The Vital Few. For example, we may disclose aggregated data from questionnaires and surveys that you complete, or responses to letters/emails sent to asset owners, including superannuation or pension funds, from members, and make such data available on The Vital Few Website or through other mediums.
We may also disclose certain details relating to a member’s superannuation or pension fund on The Vital Few Website or by other means (for example, publications), such as the climate rating/ranking of the organisation, the fact that the organisation has been surveyed or has made or has been invited to make certain disclosures relating to climate risk management processes as part of The Vital Few/ AODP.
Access and accuracy
If at any time you want to know exactly what personal information The Vital Few/AODP holds about you, you are welcome to access you record in the manner permitted by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If at any time you wish to change personal information that is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us by emailing us at email@example.com and we will amend your record. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please let us know in the same manner as referred to above and we will take all reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal reasons.
Storage and security of your personal information
The Vital Few/AODP will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. Your information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. We require our employees, interns and volunteers and data processors to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by The Vital Few/AODP.
Please note also that The Vital Few/ AODP may use overseas facilities to process or back up its information. As a result, we may transfer your personal information to our overseas facilities for storage. However, this does not change any of our commitments to safeguard your privacy.
Links to other websites
What to do if you have a problem or question